When you have decayed or missing teeth, it’s common to feel self-conscious about your smile. But the idea of going through the long, complicated process of getting dental implants may be keeping you from the smile you deserve.
If that’s the case, you’re likely very curious about these new “same day dental implants” everyone is talking about. Can dental implants be done in one day, you wonder?
Up until recently, it could take a patient anywhere from three months to close to one year for the implant process to be complete. Now, though, at Bay Star Dental, you can have one day dental implants and go on about your life with your new, healthy, gorgeous smile!
Sometimes, technology merges with healthcare in ways that seem more like magic than science. Same day implants fall into that category.
The major difference is that with traditional implants, you have to wait weeks or months for the surgical site to heal. During that time, your new teeth are being created. After they’re placed, it can take a while for them to settle naturally.
When you get denture implants in one day, this drawn-out process is simplified. You’ll leave the office that day with your new teeth, chewing, talking, and eating like normal!
Interested in learning more about this innovation of dentistry? This guide will tell you all you need to know to see if the procedure is right for you.
How to Get Dental Implants in a Day
The best investments we can make are in our health. Missing, damaged, and decayed teeth play a significant negative role in our overall wellbeing. They can cause us to feel insecure and end up with mental health disorders. And there are also physical complications that happen over time as the jawbone deteriorates.
Investing in dental implants is something you have to consider carefully. There’s a time and financial aspect that can’t be ignored. But the long-term advantages to your physical and mental health make it a smart choice.
When you opt for full dental implants in one day, both the time and expense are lessened. This happens for a few reasons:
- With traditional implants, the damaged teeth have to be extracted. Some people can have immediate dental implants, but if not, you have to wait for the site to heal before one can be placed. The implant then has to fuse to the jawbone in a process called osseointegration before you get your new teeth.
- One day dental implants do all of this in one sitting. The tooth extraction and implant are on the same day. Damaged teeth are extracted, the implant is inserted, and the crown (new tooth) is placed. The crown may be temporary as your custom-fit new teeth are designed, but replacing those is the easy part.
- Since the process requires fewer visits, you might find that same day teeth implants cost less than traditional implants.
The ability to get your denture implants in one day is a major forward movement for dental patients and the field of dentistry. At Bay Star Dental, we’re proud to be at the forefront of science and healthcare.
But even though it’s an incredible opportunity for those who need implants, not everyone is a candidate for this amazing marvel of technology.
Candidates for Same Day Dental Implants
To find out if you’re a candidate for same day dental implants, start by making an appointment for a consultation. At that time, the dentist will sit with you and look over your medical history and overall oral health.
Because the process is harder on your body with the extraction and implant done in one visit, you have to have good physical and oral health. You’re basically having two procedures completed in one visit, so it’s a faster process, but not everyone is well enough to handle it.
The Best Candidates for Dental Implants in One Day
To be considered a good candidate for the procedure, in addition to being healthy, you shouldn’t be a smoker. If you are and you’d like to have these implants, you may be asked to quit before the procedure.
You should also already be in the habit of practicing good oral hygiene habits. This way, your mouth will heal faster, and you’ll already know how to take care of your new teeth.
Some dental conditions, such as advanced gum disease, deteriorating jawbone, and bruxism (teeth grinding) might disqualify you as a candidate. Autoimmune and chronic diseases could also do this.
Talk to your dentist before you assume you can’t have the same day dental implant procedure, though. There could be options you’re not aware of, or he or she may have suggestions to help you.
If you are chosen as a candidate, the surgical procedure is scheduled next. At that time, all the surgical pieces are completed in one visit. The only things you’ll have to do after that are take care of your recovery and come for a final checkup. This last visit is necessary for us to make sure everything is healing as it should be.
Your new, custom-fit teeth are yours, and the hard work is behind you!
One Day Dental Implants vs Traditional Implants
Still on the fence as to whether this is the right option for you? Excellent! It means you’re being smart about your health choices, and you want to make an informed decision.
Although these implants are newer, they’ve been around for a while. The success rate is almost the exact same as traditional implants. Same day implants come with additional advantages, too, such as:
- Less time in the recovery process
- Fewer procedures, making it easier on your sensitive soft tissue and gums
- New teeth before you leave the office
- An easier implant and bone fusion process
- No empty teeth sockets to cause complications
- Less chance for infection to set in
Same day implants also last as long as traditional implants and cost the same or less. But there are a few disadvantages to consider:
- There’s often more immediate discomfort and swelling after the surgery. This makes sense because you’re dealing with two procedures at once.
- Same day implants carry slightly more risk of bone loss. When the jaw bone deteriorates, the implants can shift and will need to be adjusted gradually.
- The visit takes longer, but you don’t have to come in as many times.
Now that you know the answer to “How can dental implants be done in one day,” the next step is to see if it’s the right procedure for you. To find that out, call Bay Star Dental and schedule your consultation. We’ll answer all your questions and get you on the path to your bright, healthy new smile!